Saturday, March 31, 2007

Mega Prince Nymph proves Oregon trout love rubber legs

Oregon trout love rubber legs. Bottom line.

Today Wild Bill and I headed up to the Middle Fork of the Willamette River, below Hills Creek Reservoir. It was a little rainy, some size 12 BWOs coming off, nothing rising.

I'd stopped by the Caddis Fly yesterday to blow a gift certificate (Thanks Mom!)and got some good advice on fly selection. I picked up a bunch of crap that didn't work, but one thing that did. The mega prince nymph.

From MattStansberry


Wild Bill happened to have one -- he hooked up on it. Then I finally put one on and started hooking up too. No other fly worked all day long. For those of you who don't know about the prince nymph, it's basically peacock and rubber legs on a hook with a bead.

This was my first trout on the Willamette this year. I've had a couple good days on the Lower McKenzie, but this is the first score on the Big W. We hooked into 5 fish today -- not bad for basically winter fishing.

Legs man. Fish love legs.

1 comment:

Shane said...

The MFW is a wonderful river! I got lucky there last August and found the right soft hackle they wanted.
I'll be back this year