Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oregon environmental activism events

I've been on the road a lot -- and it's going to keep going at least through May. It's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm headed to Santa Fe next week for meetings and I will be doing some hiking and fishing near Valles Caldera. A few weeks later I leave for Sitka Alaska to join my dad on a grizzly bear hunt -- I'm going to document the trip, try to fly fish, and avoid getting eaten.

That said, I'm going to be missing out on some important stuff in Oregon over the next few months. Sadly, I'll list them here and hope some of you would make it out in my stead:

April 3rd, 2007 -- Environmental Lobby Day in Salem, Oregon. It would be great to go up to Salem and help reel in e-Waste, toxic materials in Oregon’s water supply and other issues.

April 7th and 8th @ Noon at the Bijou Art Cinemas 492 East 13th Eugene, OR Save Our Wild Salmon will be hosting a viewing of the documentary film, Source to Sea: The Columbia River Swim.

From the event planners: In 2003 Christopher Swain became the first person to swim the entire 1,243 mile length of the Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest. His swim brought stories about the river's disrupted ecosystems and dislocated peoples to over twenty-thousand North American schoolchildren, and to a worldwide media audience of over one billion people. A group of thirty-plus Northwest filmmakers, led by Andy Norris, followed Swain's swim, and created a modern history of the Great River of the West. The result was a ninety minute film that one viewer called, "a heart-wrenching tale of a man and a river."

April 12: Lastly, if you have any interest in learning mountaineering skills, plan on checking out the Eugene Obsidians' climb school. The dates don't work for me, but I might just make my schedule fit if I can still get in! $75 is a steal for mountaineering know-how.

No comments: